- Cutters are the offensive players that run and try to create open space to move the disc upfield. Cutters either play a horizontal or vertical offense. In a horizontal offense the 4 cutters form a straight line across the field and "cut" (run) in and out to try to beat the defensive player marking them. In a vertical offense, a vertical line is made in the center of the field and cutters run to either side hoping to beat their checks.
- Handlers are the players that have the disc the most, they stay furthest back and pass with one another to reset the "stall count" (The stall count is when the defence counts to 10, if they reach ten and you have not thrown the disc your team loses posession). Handlers are usually split up into swings and dumps. The dump is the handler who runs directly behind the player with the disc to offer an easy throw to reset the stall count, whereas the swings are the other two handlers who offer a longer throw to gain some yards forward as dumping the disc loses yards.
- Strikers are essentially cutters but are more geared toward running long for "hucks" (long throws).
- Poppers are essentially cutters but are more geared toward running (popping) into the cup for a short pass as an alternative option to a dump.
- A man defence is where each defensive player marks an offensive player, usually players try to mark offense of equal skill so there are no mismatches.
- A cup is a style of zone defense in which each player is marking a zone of the field rather than a player. When a cup is put on there are usually three defensive players who mark the person with the disc in a semi circle shape (hence the term "cup"). The next three players mark the zones in front of the cup, or the middle, hence they are called "mids". The last player is called the "deep" and marks any long throws to strikers.
- Rabbit Wall
- The rabbit wall is a variation of the cup in which there is one "rabbit" who runs after the frisbee constantly being the only person to count stalls. It is an exhausting position and the wall's job is to prevent any throws up the field. This leaves the team on offense with the option of swinging the disc back and forth between handlers. The idea is that the more throws you force the other team to throw the higher the chance there is they will drop the disc. Because you now have 4 people marking rather than 3 you sacrifice on mid. This leaves you with two mid's and a deep.
Great read... You have amazing writing skills. Check out the vid I just posted on my blog :) Countless hours of morning coffee I downed looking for it.ReplyDelete
whoa, there's a lot more to this game than I expected. Very interesting read. Are there any key plays that most teams practice?ReplyDelete
how long have you play?ReplyDelete
wow.. i never knew there were so many positions in this game!ReplyDelete
@zemzero - in terms of set plays, the most common ones that are done are when you are within a few yards of scoring to ensure you get the point. The only other set plays I can think of are huck plays for scoring quick points.ReplyDelete
@Dvallej I have been playing for around 6 years.
nice tutorial on the different frisbee positions! thanks for sharingReplyDelete
I have followed your blog, could you follow my blog too and +1 my blog? Thanks!
Sky Stock Analysis
I'm the worst frisbee player. I posted earlier, but back to say, I tried these tips and they worked! But I still suck, hahahah!ReplyDelete
I suck at ultimate frisbee, gotta work on my throwing.ReplyDelete
Wow I didn't know there was so many positions in ultimate Frisbee! Now I know :DReplyDelete
I love playing hybrid (cutter/handler). Mixes up the D and allows for fluid disc movement.ReplyDelete
I never imagined it was that complex. Interesting read!ReplyDelete
Ultimate Frisbee is the ultimate college sport! I also live to FROLF.ReplyDelete
looks like you are really into frisbee :) and that's quite a good info! thanksReplyDelete
I didn't know frisbee is team sport:DReplyDelete
it's a mix of netball and american football?ReplyDelete
This is confusing.ReplyDelete
I'm definitely a rabbit wall, just because it sounds funny.ReplyDelete
Wow, this is legit!ReplyDelete
I wish they aired games on American TV, I would love to watch a full game!
Awesome, I always love watching Ultimate Frisbee!ReplyDelete
wow, didn't realize there was so much to itReplyDelete
Hey guys this is a Ultimate Frisbee startup company that I am currently working for http://taigaultimate.com/ we made custom uniforms for Ultimate Frisbee teams. Please check it out and let me know what you guys think.ReplyDelete
Very useful but needs picsReplyDelete